What is Recovery Coaching?
Connections Counseling offers Recovery Coaching services to persons who are interested in additional support outside of what therapy can offer. Recovery Coaching is a form of strength-based, healing centered support for persons in or seeking recovery from alcohol, substances, and other addictions. Recovery Coaching is a type of partnership where the person in or seeking recovery self-directs their recovery while the coach provides their expertise in supporting successful change. Recovery Coaching focuses on achieving any goals important to the individual. The coach asks questions and offers suggestions to help the client begin to take the lead in addressing his/her recovery needs. Recovery Coaching focuses on honoring values and making principle-based decisions, creating a clear plan of action, and using current strengths to reach future goals. The coach serves as an accountability partner to help the person sustain his/her recovery.
How is Recovery Coaching different?
Recovery Coaches are unlike licensed addiction counselors in that coaches are non-clinical and do not diagnose or treat addiction or any mental health issues, However, a coach may assist in accessing clinical services. Recovery Coaching is a peer-based service that is developed and provided mainly by persons who are in recovery themselves and as a result have gained knowledge on how to attain and sustain recovery.
Recovery Coaching :
● Helps to initiate an individual/family in their recovery from substance use or addiction.
● Promotes sustainability by removing barriers and obstacles to recovery.
● Serves as a personal guide and mentor for people seeking, or already in recovery.
● Help find resources for harm reduction, detox, treatment, family support, and education, local or online support groups; or help a client create a change plan to recover on their own.
● Helps individuals find ways to stop using (abstinence), or reduce the harm associated with addictive behaviors.