MADISON (WKOW) -- Pharmacists and drug counselors are warning people about the dangers of drug overdose, after a 13-year-old Edgerton boy died after taking Oxycontin.
Oxycontin is known to cause side effects including dizziness, headaches, and nausea.
"It's a painkiller used by a number of people. When oxycontin is taken like other narcotics, it can affect your breathing, and actually stop your breathing," said Russ Jensen, director of pharmacy at St. Mary's Hospital.
Statewide, 229 people died of narcotic overdoses in 2008.
Drug counselors say prescription drug abuse is a growing problem.
"We've told parents for years to lock up your liquor if you have teenagers in the home, but nobody ever tells them to lock up their prescriptions as well," said Skye Tikkanen, SAC, at Connections Counseling.
The State Council on Alcohol And Other Drug Abuse is holding a special session Friday, February 12th, 10am - 2:30pm, at Connections Counseling, 1334 Applegate Road, Madison.
They'll be discussing a proposed law which would make it okay to call 911 if you're with someone whose using drugs and needs medical help. Right now, counselors say, people are afraid of being charged with drug possession themselves when a friend is in trouble.